0 = not acceptable , things that are not fixable such as unsafe neighborhood or a shared fence with 6 large vicious dogs on the other side . A ny zero is an end to the process . No adoption .
1 = needs work things that are not acceptable but which can and will be remedied prior to adoption , a follow up is required .
2 = Meets min Safe and adequate
3 = exceeds min Such as : Extra large lot with plenty of shade and a pond , no other pets , new parent home all day , no children or grandchildren , shallow brook running through yard , in country setting on isolated road , next door to a highly recommended pig specialist vet !! (Don ' t we wish !)
* Suitably fenced yard not smaller than 50 ’X 100 ’ or pasture
* Well constructed , warm and dry house , shed or private space in barn
* Plenty of all day available shade
* A watering hole , mud hole or pond for mud baths and cooling off in summer ( wading pool is ok but not as good )
* No small children in the home ( under 10) unless in a farm environment where livestock safety practices are part of everyday lifestyle . Consider visiting grandchildren also .
* Fences suitable for pigs
* Dogs , non aggressive , non packing
* Dogs in same area not acceptable
* Pig privacy zone away from all people and animals ?
* Neighborhood atmosphere
* Pig Experience or willingness to learn ?
* Total Family or one party interest
* Working " parents "
* Hazards metal / tools / implements / old fence
* Observed Husbandry / pet practices
* Land Management & Respect
* General sense of " permanence and pig future "
A minimum score of 34 is required to place a pig with no ratings of "0" in any category . Lesser total scores and items with ratings of "1" require corrections and re - checks .